Tuesday, January 12, 2016

"Someday We Will All Be Free" - Music Inspired By Historical Events featuring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.




The above is a small example of my music lesson CONNECTING Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with our music curriculum.

These musical themes REFLECT the Struggles, Hopes and Dreams of President Abraham Lincoln and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. to help ALL PEOPLE enjoy a life of FREEDOM.

I created this lesson to help my students EXPLORE and understand the Stories behind these songs and how they relate their messages of Peace, Hope, Love and Freedom
using the Universal Language of Music.

With my younger students I pick out a few facts about one of the songs, we discuss, watch a performance of that song and teach them to sing the song. 

With my older students I print out a copy of my lesson that you see above. They like the Newsletter Format. They tell me they feel like they are reading a newspaper like the "adults"! LOL!!! We watch a performance or two, we discuss and sing a song or two.


This resource is Great for the General Classroom Teacher to CONNECT their History curriculum to the Music curriculum and visa versa for the Music Teacher.


If you are interested, my entire lesson plan is for sale on The Teachers Pay Teachers web store.
The plan also includes 8 Video Links for a sample performance or two for each song. (Check out how a popular beverage inspired a full length song about Hope and Love!)

Just click on the link :    Music Inspired by Historical Events Set 1 featuring Martin Luther King, Jr.



Joan Baez "We Shall Overcome"
at the March on Washington 1963

For all you do!
Have a Peaceful Day and remember to take time for yourself!

Donna Marie & Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment